Go on an eclipse safari of the Aug 21, 2017 solar eclipse in North America, re-live solar eclipses from your youth, or preview other future eclipses.
Plan your experience for the upcoming eclipse by checking out the view from your current location, a location you plan to visit, or the locations of your friends and family. Black Sun delivers an immersive experience of these amazing daytime astronomical events so you can get the most out of the eclipse. Black Sun goes beyond the typical eclipse track on a map or a 2D image of the moon disc moving in front of the sun. It provides a 3D experience, depicting views of the eclipse from multiple points in outer space including from the sun, hovering above the path of totality, and looking down on the North Pole as the moon orbits the earth. A depiction of the moon shadow (umbra) is included in these views to provide a spectacular sense of how lucky one is to be in its path.
Consider traveling to the region of totality for a life changing experience with the Black Sun app in-hand!
- A main screen with an interactive simulation of what the eclipse location will look like at your current location or a custom location you specify. A countdown timer lets you know how long until the eclipse will occur.
- An interactive Map view that allows you to drop pins to save custom locations of interest and get the local eclipse predictions. Set any of the pins as your Eclipse View location in the Main screen and 3D view, or get travel directions to the location.
- Interactive 3D views that allow you to see the eclipse from various locations in space to provide a deeper understanding of the unique planetary geometry that makes this infrequent event possible.
- Accurate simulations based on NASA data for the next three total solar eclipses to be seen on the earth as well as the last three total solar eclipses that were seen in the United States, going back to 1970.
- The eclipse simulation is completely hosted on your iOS device, so you will get accurate predictions even if you lose your cell signal while seeking totality.
- Takes advantage of Apple's MapKit and SceneKit technologies to make for a compact app that can be quickly downloaded, even over cellular.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
+ This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad